Sunday, May 18, 2014

William Kentridge "The Refusal of Time"

I went to Metropolitan Museum and watched William Kentridge "The Refusal of Time" few weeks ago. Actually,at that time I went to Met to do other studio class assignment  and found out really curious art work. When I first entered the exhibition room, it was really dark and gave me mysterious mood. I saw images of shadow and clocks and wooden piece at first. Sound was really impressive and draw my attention. It was William Kentridge "The Refusal of Time" exhibition.  William Kentridge is a South African artist. Five screen and sculpture were played .

First of all, sounds pieces really linked videos. There were many layers in sounds and it gave South African mood someway. It was really loud and overwhelm viewers.Also, the moving sculpture really draw attention.It is made of wood and  It moves up and down. It kept moving like machine in 19th century. In screen, people can see various images. Huge metronomes ,shadows,people ,mysterious silver lines ,black dots or strokes appear and disappear in screens.



We can see linear and non linear time in his work.To me,everything seemed linear and non linear at the same time. It felt like I became heroine of some fantasy movie. I really liked the huge metronomes and it's sounds. To be honest, I really could not understand why we have to do sound project at that time. Now I really  understand how sound is important to video. Sound decide mood of videos.I also noticed that he interpreted  time in many ways. He used symbolic objects to show time lap and specific time just like we did. I was surprised that by this movie he wanted to refuse European colonialism. He interpreted time physically but also in very personal and political way. I used wood in the second project 'short and long time' as symbol of that takes long time to change. Therefore, when I saw his wooden piece, I felt similar. Wood needs long time to change but it change anyway in the end. I thought European colonialism may take long time to change but it could be change later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment